Legends Charter School is currently recruiting for an Instructional Coach to join our outstanding staff for the 2020 school year.
Supports teachers’ achievement of goals, as needed, by effectively employing coaching strategies that gradually release responsibility for implementing instructional practices to the teacher (for example, co-planning, modeling, and observing).
Analyzes teacher practice through ongoing classroom observations, data analysis, and examination of student work.
Provides clear and direct feedback to teachers based on analysis of practice and tracks student and teacher progress to assess the effectiveness of coaching.
Develops teachers’ capacity to collect and analyze multiple sources of data to improve student learning.
Articulates a clear instructional vision alongside the principal with a school-wide focus on teaching and learning that is data-driven, standards-aligned and rooted in a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
Fosters collaboration and teacher leadership.
Job Skills & Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree required;
Minimum of three years of teaching experience with demonstrated success in teaching higher-level skills in reading and mathematics.
Holds or is eligible for a Maryland Standard Professional Certificate in math or reading.
Successful experience as a facilitator of school-based activities focused on educational change and improvement;
Ability to work with diverse populations;
Thorough knowledge of the Grade K-8 science, reading or math pedagogy and current best practices;
· Demonstrated competence in developing and leading staff development sessions for a variety of audiences;
· Knowledge of state standards and assessment in science, math or reading;
· Working knowledge of student performance data and classroom assessment practices as they relate to improving instruction and achieving high learning standards;
· Exceptional interpersonal and team building skills, including the ability to network closely with other instructional coaches, district colleagues, and community partners;
· Ability to provide professional development support to teachers; and
· Must have strong organizational and strategic planning skills; and outstanding oral, written, and technology skills.
Experience as an instructional coach
The Maryland Public Charter School Act of 2015 defines employees of a public charter school as public-school employees of the local school district in which the charter school is located. All charter school educational employees are subject to the terms of the negotiated agreements and shall receive the same rights and protections afforded educational staff employees in the traditional schools of the Prince George’s County School System (PGCPS). All qualified applicants must apply through the PGCPS iRecruitment Website
Legends Charter School Mission
In partnership with students, parents and Prince George’s County community, Legends Charter School will provide an advanced liberal arts college preparatory education, incorporating financial education and supplemented with Blended Learning to personalize scholars learning experience and establish robust financial portfolios.
The innovative Legends School Model consists of:
- A rigorous, well-rounded advanced liberal-arts college preparatory curriculum including courses not traditionally offered at Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS),
- Core courses taught by content specialist K-8, supplemented with blended learning. Starting at kindergarten, the Legends School Model has four core instructors, Subject Expert Teachers, for the advanced liberal arts courses that include math, science, reading and humanities (social studies/ELA). This approach allows teachers to focus on and master their core subject with a higher level of expertise and deeper understanding.
- Two-adults in each classroom for K-5. Legends Charter School students will be supported by having two adults - a state-certified Subject Expert Teacher and a Legends Fellow from kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Incorporation of Financial Literacy Education curriculum starting in Kindergarten with an opportunity to create stock portfolios. This unique financial education offers Legends Financial Literacy Curriculum, Legends Circle of Investing Enrichment and Legends Virtual Stock Simulation Enrichment.
- Unique Professional Development. Professional Development at Legends is designed to support, develop and retain our talent, to prevent burnout and increase success and satisfaction – allowing us to best serve our students.
Positive School Culture
At Legends, we are building a positive school culture from the ground up, starting with our facility. Our school will be designed incorporating the WELL Building Standard, that will create healthy learning environments and improve the wellness and well-being of its students, faculties and supporting staff members.
The Legends School Model promotes a positive school culture that includes high expectations for both our staff and our students, positive teacher-student interactions, where our students feel safe, connected and engaged, and a high parent involvement strategy.