We are currently recruiting for a Legends Fellow to join our outstanding faculty of teachers for the 2020 school year.
The role of the Legends Fellow is to support students in the classroom with a focus on attendance, behavior, culture, and academics. The LF works directly under the supervision of the Subject Expert Teacher and is developed by the Principal and Dean of Students. The LF supports lunch and recess duties.
Create, support and/or co-lead literacy and/or math-focused events to enrich school literacy and/or math culture and climate
Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs recognizing and appreciating growth and/or achievement in literacy and/or math
Promote a positive learning environment
Engagement & Positive School Climate Participation
Provide small group and one-to-one social-emotional skills development programs and attendance coaching to elementary, middle and high school youth
Support and/or conduct extended day programming through the facilitation of enriching activities for students before, during, and after school including, but not limited to, academic enrichment and intervention, homework support, recreation, service learning, and leadership development
Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs to recognize and appreciate significant growth and/or achievement in social-emotional development and positive behavior
Engage students as leaders to help plan and/or lead event elements
Participate in and/or lead Facilitated Data Review and Student Progress Monitoring meetings utilizing business intelligence tools
Facilitate coaching sessions for small groups of students on building social-emotional learning skills
Contributing to overall school performance by engaging parents, coordinating enrichment programs for students, serving as role models and helping to enhance school culture
Supporting and developing thematic events to engage community stakeholders
Supporting, creating and/or co-leading events or programs that recognize and appreciate significant growth and/or achievement in attendance
Welcoming students at the start of the school day
Supports lunch and recess duties
Placing calls to the homes of absent students
Providing homework assistance to a consistent group of students before and after school
Must successfully demonstrate the following competencies:
Education: Completion of a standard high school diploma or GED; some college preferred.
Experience:Computer Skills: Microsoft Office proficiency required.
Certification Requirements: n/a
Legends Charter School Mission
In partnership with students, parents and Prince George’s County community, Legends Charter School will provide an advanced liberal arts college preparatory education, incorporating financial education and supplemented with Blended Learning to personalize scholars learning experience and establish robust financial portfolios.
The innovative Legends School Model consists of:
- A rigorous, well-rounded advanced liberal-arts college preparatory curriculum including courses not traditionally offered at Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS),
- Core courses taught by content specialist K-8, supplemented with blended learning. Starting at kindergarten, the Legends School Model has four core instructors, Subject Expert Teachers, for the advanced liberal arts courses that include math, science, reading and humanities (social studies/ELA). This approach allows teachers to focus on and master their core subject with a higher level of expertise and deeper understanding.
- Two-adults in each classroom for K-5. Legends Charter School students will be supported by having two adults - a state-certified Subject Expert Teacher and a Legends Fellow from kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Incorporation of Financial Literacy Education curriculum starting in Kindergarten with an opportunity to create stock portfolios. This unique financial education offers Legends Financial Literacy Curriculum, Legends Circle of Investing Enrichment and Legends Virtual Stock Simulation Enrichment.
- Unique Professional Development. Professional Development at Legends is designed to support, develop and retain our talent, to prevent burnout and increase success and satisfaction – allowing us to best serve our students.
Positive School Culture
At Legends, we are building a positive school culture from the ground up, starting with our facility. Our school will be designed incorporating the WELL Building Standard, that will create healthy learning environments and improve the wellness and well-being of its students, faculties and supporting staff members.
The Legends School Model promotes a positive school culture that includes high expectations for both our staff and our students, positive teacher-student interactions, where our students feel safe, connected and engaged, and a high parent involvement strategy.