If you have a passion for Math and a gift for inspiring young minds, we are looking for you!
We are currently recruiting for math teachers *Kindergarten through Grade 8* to join our outstanding faculty of teachers for the 2020 school year.
The ideal candidate believes in collaboration with other colleagues and promotes understanding and communication in a diverse learning and cultural environment. You must have a solid understanding of the national curriculum standards and have experience closing the achievement gap, and you must also develop engaging and innovative lessons that allow our students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Finally, you are someone who incorporates technology and hands-on learning experiences into the classroom with enthusiasm.
Create daily lesson plans and learning activities for students based on national, local and school standards in math education and research and knowledge of developmental behaviors.
Deliver high-quality, engaging instruction in the form of discussion, direct teaching, demonstrations and independent practice using a variety of proven methods.
Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of disability, instructional level, English proficiency or level of interest in the subject.
Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards using different methods such as observation, performance-based tasks or other standard test practices.
Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modeling expected behavior and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviors that are not in line with the school discipline plan.
Communicate with parents regarding student progress, potential and behavior periodically through phone or electronic means and at parent and teacher conferences.
Improve skills and knowledge in teaching by regularly taking classes, attending workshops and discovering new methods of delivering exciting content to students.
Job Skills & Qualifications
Bachelor's degree required in applicable field of education from a regionally accredited college or university.
Holds or is eligible for a Professional Certificate appropriate to area of assignment issued by the Maryland State Department of Education.
Ability to work with diverse populations;
Knowledge of school organization, goals and objectives, curriculum, teaching techniques, current trends, research, and materials of instruction in field of specialization;
Excellent knowledge and understanding of the teaching and learning process;
Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education;
Ability to infuse technology into curriculum;
Ability to work effectively with students, parents, administrators, colleagues, community, and other school system staff; and
Excellent oral and communication skills.
Experience in Math instruction
Comfort in a team environment
The Maryland Public Charter School Act of 2015 defines employees of a public charter school as public-school employees of the local school district in which the charter school is located. All charter school educational employees are subject to the terms of the negotiated agreements and shall receive the same rights and protections afforded educational staff employees in the traditional schools of the Prince George’s County School System (PGCPS). All qualified applicants must apply through the PGCPS iRecruitment Website Company Description:
Legends Charter School Mission
In partnership with students, parents and Prince George’s County community, Legends Charter School will provide an advanced liberal arts college preparatory education, incorporating financial education and supplemented with Blended Learning to personalize scholars learning experience and establish robust financial portfolios.
The innovative Legends School Model consists of:
- A rigorous, well-rounded advanced liberal-arts college preparatory curriculum including courses not traditionally offered at Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS),
- Core courses taught by content specialist K-8, supplemented with blended learning. Starting at kindergarten, the Legends School Model has four core instructors, Subject Expert Teachers, for the advanced liberal arts courses that include math, science, reading and humanities (social studies/ELA). This approach allows teachers to focus on and master their core subject with a higher level of expertise and deeper understanding.
- Two-adults in each classroom for K-5. Legends Charter School students will be supported by having two adults - a state-certified Subject Expert Teacher and a Legends Fellow from kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Incorporation of Financial Literacy Education curriculum starting in Kindergarten with an opportunity to create stock portfolios. This unique financial education offers Legends Financial Literacy Curriculum, Legends Circle of Investing Enrichment and Legends Virtual Stock Simulation Enrichment.
- Unique Professional Development. Professional Development at Legends is designed to support, develop and retain our talent, to prevent burnout and increase success and satisfaction – allowing us to best serve our students.
Positive School Culture
At Legends, we are building a positive school culture from the ground up, starting with our facility. Our school will be designed incorporating the WELL Building Standard, that will create healthy learning environments and improve the wellness and well-being of its students, faculties and supporting staff members.
The Legends School Model promotes a positive school culture that includes high expectations for both our staff and our students, positive teacher-student interactions, where our students feel safe, connected and engaged, and a high parent involvement strategy.