- Location: Durham, NC
- Application Deadline: November 20th (email us if you need an extension)
- Read our FAQs: http://bit.ly/ModernEnergyFAQ
- Submit your video cover letter: https://hire.li/0a4a55d
We are looking for a Director of Communications and Marketing who will be responsible for Modern Energy’s communications and marketing functions at a group level. The Director will propel our company to the next level by increasing internal literacy around our work, crafting messaging and communication strategy that changes public opinion on distributed energy, and galvanizing a coalition of innovators who will drive this transition.
Craft Modern Energy’s Messaging Around Key Issues:
- Develop messaging that articulates Modern Energy’s mission, vision for the future, and policy positions in a compelling way.
- Act as first author on white papers, blog posts, and other editorial content.
- Develop supportive collateral materials such as infographics, videos, animations, and other press materials.
- Provide quality control over written materials intended for key external stakeholders.
- Manage Modern Energy's social media platforms, blogs, and website.
Strategically Amplify Modern Energy’s Message:
- Develop and manage the implementation of Modern Energy’s thought leadership strategy to position executive staff as influencers within policy and regulatory circles.
- Prepare senior leadership for speaking opportunities including drafting talking points, preparing briefing materials, and writing speeches.
- Develop multi-platform comprehensive media strategies designed to strengthen Modern Energy’s brand, advance policy issues, and respond to news coverage.
- Build and maintain press relationships, pitching stories to the news media, managing media inquiries, organizing press conferences and outreach events, and coordinate press releases.
- Manage the building of relationships with a wide variety of trade associations, member companies, outside writers and bloggers to create new platforms for Modern Energy's messages.
Who We’re Looking For
We recognize that previous experience doesn’t always determine future success. If you recognize yourself in most of the following qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Above all, we are relentless about finding passionate, whip smart and mission aligned team members.
- Previous experience in the energy field highly preferred
- 5+ years of experience in strategic communications, marketing, and/or public relations
- Adept at key communication skills (messaging, crafting press releases, stakeholder engagement). Experience developing a marketing and communications strategy for an entrepreneurial organization
- Exceptional writer and experience distilling highly complex and nuanced ideas into digestible, compelling content for a variety of audiences
- Experience working within a heavily regulated industry
- Desire or experience working within a start-up or fast-growing company
- Passionate. You are thrilled to have the opportunity to have an outsized, positive impact on climate change. Wanting to be an integral part of this mission is essential. You are aligned with our guiding principles - act with honor and integrity, be extraordinary, build an enterprise of enduring value – and with our core values - good and great, teaching and learning, bold and humble, collaborative and accountable.
- Communications Guru. You are persuasive and also an empathetic, respectful listener with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. You are a skilled researcher and enjoy tracking and analyzing metrics/trends to improve performance. You cut through the noise and know which messages will resonate with specific audiences, preparing our leaders to do the same. Your attention to detail when organizing press events, calls and panel discussions is uncanny.
- Influencer. You thrive off of creating and influencing media narratives. You have a deep understanding of media and new cycles. You have built and/or are capable of building strategic media relationships within the energy space.
- Self-Starter. You are highly motivated from within and operate with a strong work ethic. You thrive in ambiguity and have the confidence to manage up, create a plan, and execute without hand-holding. You prioritize effectively and handle competing pressures in a highly dynamic environment. You chart a smart course and drive results without compromising the need to get buy-in and work collaboratively across teams.
- Detail-Oriented. You value producing high-quality, excellent work. You can focus on the big picture, but also zoom in on the details.
How to Apply
A complete application requires that you do two things:
- Resume + Questions: Upload your resume and answer a few short questions no later than Friday, November 15th at 11pm ET Note: Once you submit your resume, an additional screen will pop up asking you to submit your answers.
- Video Cover Letter (https://hire.li/0a4a55d): In Lieu of a traditional cover letter, we invite you to submit a video cover letter. The video cover letter guides you through a few short questions to bring your application alive. Your video cover letter should be submitted within a few days of your application.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com
This will be a full-time position including competitive salary, annual bonus structure, other short-term incentives, employer subsidized health and dental insurance, and a 401k plan with employer match. Strong preference for position to be located at Modern Energy’s HQ office in Durham, NC.
Modern Energy is a clean energy holding company based in Durham, NC. From energy efficiency in the United States to solar projects in emerging markets, Modern supports leaders in the transition to a distributed energy economy. Modern Energy is grounded in the belief that distributed clean energy is a force multiplier for progress around the world, and we strive to bring distributed energy innovations to market to make clean energy abundant for all. Modern Energy is a certified B Corp and was recently named one of the Top 100 Impact Companies by Real Leaders magazine.